Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dependent Personality Disorder

Since I still in Psychiatry posting, all of my thinking are still around with the disorder related to mental illness and psychiatry.

Honestly, this posting really attracted me so much and I have more and more interests into it. ^.^ I never think that I will like anything related to communicate with other people, but I enjoy listening to the patient's problems. They have different interesting stories which can inspire me sometimes.

Last week, I prepared for a presentation of personality disorders. Actually, personality disorder involve deeply ingrained, inflexible patterns of relating to others that are maladaptive and cause significant impairment in social or occupational functioning. They lack insight about their problems and it is Axis II diagnosis. (Copied from my textbooks, I also understand half half only, although I presented it in the class.)

Overall, personality disorder is not a mental illness and it occur since childhood or early adulthood. I diagnosed myself to have mild depression and 'internet' dependence syndrome last few weeks. Now, I found out that I may be have dependent personality disorder too. =.=lll

Everything also need a prove right? Ok, according to the DSM-IV criteria, dependent personality disorder is a pattern of submissive and clinging behaviour due to excessive need to be taken of. At least 5 of the following must be present:

1. difficulty making everyday decisions without reassurance from others (nod my head)
2. needs other to assume responsibilies for most areas of his or her life (nod again)
3. cannot express disagreement because fear of loss of approval (nod nod nod...)
4. difficulty initiating projects because lack of self-confidence (nod till my head tired already)
5. goes to excessive lengths to obtain support from others (erm... maybe?)
6. feels helpless when alone (no more energy to nod)
7. urgently seeks another relationship when one ends
8. preoccupied with fears of being left to take care of self

1,2,3,4,5.. Oh no, I fixed at least 5 of the criterias!!!

Ok ok, I know I cannot labelled myself to this disorder as I like. All those disorder which I suspect I got is probably due to my excessive worry. Erm? Excessive worry is also a kind of problems in psychiatry, lol.

The more you know, the more you will worry, hahaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment