Saturday, May 22, 2010

Internet dependence syndrome

In psychiatry, there are some criterias to diagnose alchohol or other substance dependent. Since I am still in psychiatry posting, I like to link all those criteria and think whether this happen to me also.

Last few weeks, I diagnosed myself to have symptoms of depression, according to the criteria I learnt in DSM-IV (A classification of psychiatry illness). I don't know whether it's correct for me to do so, but at least I got good insight. ^.^

Recently, the wireless service in my room was cut down without any reason. This caused many inconveniences to me because I can't online to check mail, facebooking... I felt my life is not meaningful when can't online at any time I like.

When I discussed this issue with my friends, they said I have 'internet' dependence syndrome.

For informations, the correct criteria for dependent:

1. Compulsive

2. Stereotype pattern

3. Primacy/priority

4. Tolerance

5. Recurrent withdrawal symptoms

6. Reinstatement after withdrawal

7. Relief drinking

As modifications of my situation, I am almost fit to the criteria all so called 'internet dependence syndrome' (Actually was created by my friends and I)

1. Compulsive: I am craving to online and surf the internet all the time.

2. Stereotype pattern: I like to online in my room, at the same place and almost everytime when I am in the room, after my class

3. Primacy: I can online until I late for my meal, delay my homework and study, stay overnight just to online

4. Tolerance: I need more and more hours to enjoy excitement of online

5. Recurrent withdrawal symptoms: anxious, worry, can't concentrate

6. Reinstatement after withdrawal: I tried to away from my laptop so that I can more concentrate on my study. In the end, I fail to do so.

7. Relief: I only able to feel satisfied of my day after surfing the internet, even surf for purposeless reasons.

Whether it is true or not, I can't deny that I have fit all those symptoms and I really need to find out a solution for this. If not I will become an 'addict' other that the caffeine. Who can give some good suggestion?

No comments:

Post a Comment